Friday, November 30, 2012

Thankfulness Found in Doing the Dishes

Like most people I know, doing the dishes is not high on my "favorite things" list. This morning on my drive in to work I was reflecting on my poor attitude about doing the dishes this morning. I realized that instead of making me moan and groan to myself, doing the dishes could be a way to rejoice for all the blessings I have.
Here's what I came up with to be thankful for connected with dishes...

1. Having dishes (especially the amount of dishes we had) implies a place to store them; I'm thankful for having a home.
2. Having dirty dishes means that we have plenty of food to eat; I'm thankful for the physical plenty that we have.
3. Having dirty dishes every day means we are never without food; I'm thankful for regular meals.
4. Having a growing pile of dirty dishes, even when I'm not there, means that there are other people in my family; I'm thankful for my wife and daughter.
5. Being able to do dishes requires water. Many people in the world would have to walk miles to just go get some water. I'm thankful for the city water service and for our pipes that deliver water by just lifting a knob.
6. Having hot water to really get the dishes clean requires a water heater. Many people all over the world would have to go collect wood to make a fire to heat the water. I'm thankful for our water heater.
7. Having a hot water heater that runs on gas instead of wood means that we are connected to a outside gas line. I'm thankful for not having to worry about anything more than paying our gas bill to heat our water.
8. Being able to stand at the sink to do dishes requires a certain level of physical health. I'm thankful that for the moment I am physically strong and able enough to do the dishes.
9. Having the time to do the dishes requires a life situation that affords me that time. I'm thankful for a job which allows me the time to do the dishes.

That's nine things, and I'm sure there's more, to be thankful for in a menial household chore. What if I looked at all of life this way? It would sure help my attitude and outlook on life.

"Be joyful always; pray continually; give thanks in all circumstances for this is God's will for you in Christ Jesus." 1 Thessalonians 5:16-18

No comments:

Post a Comment